Monday, December 3, 2007

Snow Poetry

I had to write 5 poems for my creative writing class and quite frankly I actually enjoyed it. It is a whole new experience just being able to have fun with words rather than worrying about all the other crap that comes with most writing (grammar, punctuation, content..blibbidy blah). And, the best part is, my dear sis who has her MFA in creative writing and is a very, very talented poet, told me that I have some of her genes! Wahoo!
So here is my snow poem:

Snow in Eight Parts

I.

Fragile lattice of crystalline ice,
melting into the barking dog’s fur
like warm chocolate on a hot day

II.

Blankets of downy white
hush the chirping birds
and speeding cars.

III.

Dying leaves,
desperate for a drink,
lap up the frozen water vapor.

IV.

Togetherness
of hydrogen and oxygen:
is it the most perfect bond?
Is it as simple
as ionic attraction
between H’s and O’s?

V.

Meteor showers of snow
rushing past the silhouette of silver moon—
not crescent, not whole,
simply a round shape hanging in the sky.

VI.

They fall on the cold glass,
with the force of flying bugs
hurtling towards the windshield,
oblivious to their imminent end.

VII.

Enjoying their moment
in the spotlight of streetlights.
Shining, begging for
notice of their minute of beauty,
all glitter and intricacy.

VIII.

Droplets of water,
now only spots on a window,
no longer bound by their hexagonal arms.

1 comments:

JC said...

i like poem #7 the best, although #4 is funny... it reveals your inner science-geek! haha. love ya!