Sunday, August 16, 2009

I'm in the Library!

Hehehe...I am finally immortalized in the library! My thesis was finally published and I am now available by special request (because only the cool people can touch my work! More like, only the nerds want my work. Britta: that now reads you.)! To check it out: Go to lib.utah.edu and search by Kristen Ameel or the title (which I hate!), "Paraquat and Rotenone Induced Dopaminergic Neurodegeneration in Drosophila melanogaster." I wanted to name my thesis "Feed flies pesticides, watch them die, and then look at their brains." I guess that title just didn't have the same ring to it as the formal one in my thesis advisor's opinion.

Side note: I am reading the best book I have read in a while, "The Omnivore's Dilemma." Makes me not want to eat anything that I haven't picked off of a tree or out of the ground myself. Anyways, Michael Pollan writes in the book that rotenone is an accepted organic pesticide. That shit is what gave my poor flies Parkinsonian-like tremors, neuronal loss, decreased motility and vitality. Think about that the next time you feel smug buying your organic cereal (which I still feel smug about buying even knowing that the organic agricultural rules are crap)!

0 comments: