Thursday, April 16, 2009

I received the nicest compliment today at the homeless clinic:

Me: (tired, grumpy, aching sinuses, half-hearted smile) Do you have high blood pressure? Are you allergic to any medications?

Homeless man: No and no. Hey do you see this weird arm that I have?

Me: (Slight nod.)

HM: I was electrocuted. Want to hear how?

He then goes on and on, but I listen as intently as I can at 9 am.

HM: You know, you are going to be a really great doctor some day. There are a lot of bad doctors out there, but you are going to be one of the few good ones.

I don't know if this was a real compliment or if he was simply thanking me for listening to his long story. Because I need a little inspiration at the moment, I am going with the former:)

And in other medically related news: Gentleman watch out. A man was in our hospital this week for penile injury during sexual intercourse. I guess that it can really happen. OUCH!

2 comments:

JC said...

so... how did he manage to electrocute himself? is it morbid that i am curious what an electorcuted arm looks like?

Kristen Ameel said...

He was working with some wires that didn't have their power off. You should have seen the damage to his arm...crazy And no, it is not morbid to ask. I wonder about this stuff all the time.